Reprint of "The Califon Story" Available in May
The Historical Society is happy to announce that a reprint of "The Califon Story", written by Mrs. Helen Haggerty Geist, will be available for purchase at our May Open House. This beloved book chronicles the history, events and story of Califon and its people until the year 1964.
Historical Society Registers With Amazon Smile
AmazonSmile is a program where Amazon donates 0.5% of the purchase price of eligible products to the charitable organization selected by their customers. The Historical Society recently registered with AmazonSmile as a charitable organization and will benefit from any shopper selecting the Califon Historical Society prior to making a purchase. It's easy and there is absolutely no cost to the participant. Simply go to http://smile.amazon.com and select Califon Historical Society as your charitable organization. Your purchase will make us smile, too!
2016 Annual Holiday Display
Our annual "Christmas at the Station" display continues into December. Come see antique trains and toys from local families past and present, enjoy holiday music and view our unique holiday gifts. Choose from "Califon" pottery and wooden train whistles, mini trains sets in a tin, holiday card sets and framed prints of historic local buildings. Additional open dates include: Saturday, Dec. 3rd from 1 - 3:00 pm, Sunday, Dec. 4th from noon until 4:00 pm and Sunday, Dec. 11th from 2:00 - 4:00 pm. Santa will arrive at the station at 3:00 pm!
Historical Essay Contest
Congratulations to Benjamin Beard, winner of the Historical Society's 8th grade Historical Essay Contest! His winning essay was about The Swamp House located on Main Street.
Waldron's Creamery was one of the most important industries in Califon. Our photos include Waldron's Creamery, farm, house, and a Waldron's milk bottle. The Waldron's Creamery building is now used by the Califon Fire Department. ...
By Barry Danziger
A MAJOR reason Califon is the fine place it is now.
There are not enough words that can describe all the things that Ken did for this borough. This was his lifelong home. Born in his parent's house on Second and Pershing Street, Ken resided here all his life, except for a time when he was serving his country during World War II and the resultant occupation of Japan.
Returning home, he dedicated his life to serving the people he grew up with, by returning to the area the blessings he received. ...
Califon School is a comprehensive grade K-8 institution that keeps the student's well being first. The first school was built in 1890. By 1912, it became apparent that the two-room schoolhouse was inadequate, so by 1918 the present school was built. Two additions have been added since.
The 'new' Califon School, under construction in 1918:
The card below was purchased from Ebay. It depicts the Cole Grist Mill; the writing on the edge says that it was from Califon. This is a very rare card, not seen by local postcard collectors before now.
The Califon Historical Society used to print Christmas cards every year, each one depicting a different historic building in the town.
The full list is:
|Series #||Year||Subject||Year - Collectible|
|1||1987||Railroad station (1)||1996|
|2||1988||Rambo's General Store||1997|
|4||1990||Old Califon Public||1999|
|5||1991||United Methodist Church||2000|
|6||1991||Railroad Station (2)|
|7||1992||Old Post Office||2001|
|14||1999||Philhower General Store|
|15||2000||Califon Lumber Company|
|16||2001||Califon Book Store|
|17||2002||Califon National Bank|
|19||2004||Califon Blacksmith Shop|
|20||2005||Dr Miller's House and Pharmacy|
|21||2006||The Cole's Mill|
|22||2007||The Log Cabin by the River|
The Califon Coverlette is no longer available. It had reproductions of pen and ink drawings by Joyce Carlson; the drawings adorned our annual Christmas cards.
The Califon Historical Society has responsibility for a log cabin on Raritan River Rd. The cabin was part of the property belonging to Nellie Hoffman, now owned by the town and several partners. The Log Cabin was featured on the 2007 Christmas card, the 24th in our series. The artist is Kathleen DeBlasio, proprietor of the Califon Frame Shop.
The log cabin was used by hunters and fishing clubs. Similar cabins were used by families and individuals. The cabin had some “comforts of home”, including a fieldstone fireplace and an outhouse with reading matter, but lacked running water.
The Log Cabin is listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places.
A poem, author unknown.
'tis true, our town in it's own way
began to live, take hold and grow.
It never grew to a great town.
It never rose to great renown.
And yet, way back in early days
WHEN FOLKS SO FEW OF COMFORTS KNEW,
The movie "Diminished Capacity" was filmed in part in Califon's historic district. The movie starred Alan Alda and Matthew Broderick. It featured several historic buildings, including Rambo's General Store. Click below to see photos from the shoot...